Savory Barley Mix
Recipe type: Side
Savory Barley Mix is a Canadian food recipe with chickpeas and lentils mixed with vegetables.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-19 oz can lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 10 dill sprigs, chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic in canola oil in a large saucepan for about 2 minutes.
- Add barley and cook additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and reduce heat. Let simmer for 30-35 minutes or until barley has soaked up most of the liquid.
- Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in dill.
- Serve with optional sprinkling of feta on top.