One of the best Canadian food recipes, this Canadian Beef Stew recipe from Alberta combines a lean cut, round steak, with assorted vegetables for a good old-fashioned stew.
- 1½ lb lean boneless round steak or stewing beef
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 small onions halved
- 3 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 cups cubed turnip
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- Trim all visible fat from beef and discard; cut meat into large cubes.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
- Toss beef in flour mixture.
- Add beef and garlic to Dutch oven or large casserole.
- Cover and bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300°F (150°C); add stock, tomato juice, tomato paste, lemon juice, Worcestershire and seasonings.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Add vegetables and bake for about 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender.