Beet and Bean Borscht
Recipe type: Soup
Beet and Bean Borscht is a Canadian food recipe with vegetables and dill.
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups beets, peeled and chopped
- 10 cups reduced sodium vegetable or beef stock
- 1-19 oz can navy or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bunch dill
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil until golden and soft. Set aside.
- In a big soup pot, sauté carrots, celery and cabbage in remaining oil for about 3 minutes. Add beets and stock and cook about 1 hour or until beets are slightly tender.
- Add onions and garlic, beans, tomato juice, lemon juice, pepper and dill.
- Bring to a boil and serve.