Baked Onion Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Baked Onion Soup is a Canadian food recipe with thyme and plenty of cheese.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 Onions, roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped
- 1½ tsp Dry thyme
- 1 cup Canadian red wine
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 4 cups Beef stock
- 2 Bread slices, cubed
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup Aged cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until soft. Add the dry thyme and stir for 1 minute. Deglaze the pot with the red wine and reduce by half. Add the sugar and beef stock, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the bread cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Take 4 oven-safe bowls and fill with soup. Add equal amounts of the bread cubes and top each bowl with ¼ cup of mozzarella and ¼ cup aged cheddar cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is browned, then serve.